Bradley D. Pierce
Brad Pierce is a trial attorney with extensive experience in complex litigation actions. A large part of his practice focuses on representing governmental entities and private business and land owners in cases involving eminent domain, inverse condemnation and other land use disputes between government agencies and owners.
Mr. Pierce has acted as lead counsel on complex jury and bench trials involving a variety of property rights and commercial issues. He frequently handles challenging valuation issues involving the value of the land taken, pre-condemnation damages, severance damages, loss of business goodwill and challenges to the right to take. Mr. Pierce is experienced in all aspects of the condemnation process, including pre-acquisition planning, selection and coordination of the services of appraisers and other expert witnesses, negotiation, relocation assistance, and environmental issues.
Mr. Pierce has acted as Special Counsel for: Counties; Cities; School Districts; Airport Districts; numerous types of Water Districts and other special districts. He handles a variety of litigation issues for public agencies, when the issue calls for his expertise or general counsel has a conflict.
He also practices in the areas of business and commercial litigation involving complex business issues, real property disputes, liens, easement rights, property rights, land use and related issues.
He was formerly a partner at a law firm in downtown Los Angeles where he focused on litigation of issues unique to public agencies. More recently, Mr Pierce was a partner at a municipal and water law firm in Orange County where he was the partner responsible for the right-of-way work for all of the firm's clients.
- California Courts - 12/13/1994
- United States District Court, Central District of California - 12/13/1994
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit - 7/25/1997
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California - 8/30/2000
- United States Court of Federal Claims - 5/7/2002
- United States District Court, Southern District of California - 12/16/2002
Mr. Pierce also provides expert witness testimony on eminent domain process, procedures and related matters. For more information click here.
Mr. Pierce graduated from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles in 1994, and was recognized as a member of the St. Thomas More Law Honor Society. He previously attended Chapman University where he received his BS in Business, with a major in Economics and a minor in Legal Studies, in 1987.
California Eminent Domain Articles, Cases & Presentations
- “Seven Things That Every Real Property Practitioner Should Know About Eminent Domain” (May 2016) Real Property Law Section 35th Annual Retreat
- “10 Things Non-Condemnation Lawyers Should Know About Eminent Domain” (October 2015) State Bar of California 88th Annual Meeting
- "Eminent Domain Start to Finish, Trial Practice and Strategy, (January 2014) National Business Institute
- "Special Benefits & Fair Market Value: The View From California" (2013) volume 65, Issue 11, Planning & Environmental Law
- "Eminent Domain Start to Finish, Trial Practice and Strategy", (April 2013) National Business Institute
- "Baca: Defining Severance Damages in Part-Takings" , LA Daily Journal (May 31, 2012)
- "The Perils of Public Improvement Projects" LA Daily Journal (September 2, 2011)
- "Judicial Takings: A Decision Without a Decision" (2011) volume 29, No. 1, California Real Property Journal, 4
- "Climate Change, Land Use and 'Smart Growth': Redevelopment Holds a Key to a Better Future" California Environmental Law Reporter 145 (April 2008)
- "California Supreme Court Addresses the Roles of Judge and Jury in Eminent Domain Cases" (2007) volume 25, No. 3, Cal. Real Property Journal, 48
- "Eminent Domain in California: Policies & Procedures" Lorman Education Services, Oxnard, CA (October 25, 2007)
- "Photo Enforcement: Red Light and Speed" Judicial Council of California, Administrative Office of the Courts, Traffic Adjudication Institute, Torrance, CA (March 21-23, 2007)
- "Post Kelo Blowback: The "Protect Our Homes Act" and Other Legislative Proposals in California," Los Angeles County Bar Association – Real Property Section, Los Angeles, CA (September 13, 2006)
- "Goodwill Loss Claims: Effectively Developing a Record and Minimizing Inflated Claims for Compensation," California Redevelopment Association’s (CRA) Legal Issues Symposium, Long Beach, CA (August 9-10, 2006)
- "Eminent Domain in California," Lorman Education Services, Pasadena, CA (June 29, 2006)
- "Update on Loss of Goodwill Issues," CLE International’s 8th Annual Conference on Eminent Domain (June 8-9, 2006)
- "Goodwill and the Taking of a Business," International Right of Way Association (IRWA), Annual Fall Seminar, Montebello, California (October 19, 2005)
- Sierra View Local Health Care Dist. v. Sierra Medical Plaza Assoc. (2005) 126 Cal.App.4th 478.
- "Goodwill Loss – Entitlement and Proof," California Redevelopment Association’s (CRA) Legal Issues Symposium, San Jose, California (August 10, 2005)
- "Goodwill and the Taking of a Business," CLE International's Seventh Annual Conference on Eminent Domain, Los Angeles, California (June 20, 2005)
- "Multi-Property Appraisal of Partial Takings (Severance Damages)," International Right of Way Association (IRWA), Chapter 1, Annual Valuation Conference, Downey, California (April 26, 2005)